Discover the strong character of a city imbued with an army culture
The places we will visit during this tour are various:
- the Navy Museum, where there is an interesting collection of Spanish flags and coats of arms, alongside several medical and technical army tools from different periods. Its Submarine Chamber, the first modern submarine invented in the world by the native engineer Isaac Peral, is exhibited here;
- The Military Museum, located at the old artillery headquarters. It offers a thorough array of weapons and tanks from several historical periods;
- The Catamaran, a tourist ship from where you will see the outstanding natural bay surrounded by mounts and where old fortresses are erected;
- Fortress of Navidad: the ship will drive us to this building, set at a privileged location and harboring the Centre for Interpretation of Defensive Architecture in Cartagena and the Mediterranean.
- Meeting point at the harbor
- Visit Military Museum, placed in the 18th-century, artillery park, with a brilliant collection of war weapons and tanks
- Navy Museum, located in the old Marine headquarters. Here lots of military tools from different periods are shown within an interesting exhibition, along with the most representative shields of Spain
- Isaac Peral's submarine chamber, right across the navy museum main building
- Back to the harbor to take the Catamaran which lets us see all the forts surrounding the bay
- Fort of Navidad, where the ship will have driven us and where the Interpretation Centre of defensive architecture is set
- End of the tour at the agreed meeting point.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At the port, between the Chamber of Commerce and the restaurant Mare Nostrum.
Optionally, at a hotel if it is situated in the city center
End location: At the port, approximately where the meeting point is, or optionally, at the hotel if it is located in the city center
Duration: 4 hours 30 min.
This is a walking tour.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 Euros - For any personal item, such as souvenirs, etc.
I am not a driver. However, I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
In some stretches and museums, I might not provide guiding information, because those places have their own inner guides.