Nature and Wildlife, Museums / Culture, Local Experience, Day Trip / Out of Town
Kid Friendly: Yes.
You must be able to get in and out of a car and be able to ride for 20 minutes each way.
Maximum travelers: 4
• Visit the Armstrong County Museum with the history of settlement and ranching in the Texas Panhandle. Covers the famous JA Ranch. Photography by George Williams. Visit the Gem Theater where the movie HUD was filmed.
• Visit the Charles Goodnight Historical Center and restored ranch house. Information on the preservation of the original genetic Southern Plains buffalo herd in Texas.
• See buffalo, part of the official herd of the State of Texas. (Depends upon where they are pastured at the time. )
• Visit The Herd… where everything is made from buffalo!
• If requested an evening meal at The Big Texan Steak Ranch and Brew Pub or other venue. (Meals not included in price)
Pick up traveler at their hotel. A 20 minute drive to the Armstrong County Museum. Approximately 1. 5 hours at this museum. Travel to the Goodnight Center. Approximately 1. 5 hours at this museum. Visit the Herd where everything is made from buffalo. After shopping, return to Amarillo.
A stop for dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch or other venue.
Return traveler to hotel.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Pick up and return to travelers hotel or accomodations.
End location: At starting point.
Duration: 4 hours 30 min.
Might be a bit longer depending upon interest
I drive a 2014 Toyota Avalon. Air conditioned. Seats 3 adults comfortably, 4 adults are "cozy". However, it is comfortable for most adults.
Transportation to and from the Armstrong County Museum, the Goodnight Center and the "herd". Includes admission to both museums.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 us - Meal and refreshments during and/or after the tour.
Meals and purchases at the Herd Store.
Most tours are limited to 3 or 4 adults. My car holds 3 adults comfortably and 4 can be "cozy".
Weather may affect outdoor venues. In that event, I'll try to arrange another appropriate excursion.
Some tours may be strenuous. Please check.