Half-day walking tour of historic Salem, starting and ending in downtown Boston
Take the high-speed ferry with me from Long Wharf, in downtown Boston, to the historic waterfront city of Salem, Massachusetts. The ferry ride lets you see Boston Harbor, the Harbor Islands, a half-dozen historic lighthouses (including the oldest lighthouse in America), and beautiful Marblehead and Salem Harbor, all in less than one hour. The ferry drops us off in the heart of Salem's historic waterfront district, where we will explore downtown Salem on foot. Salem is known nation-wide as the location of 1692 Witch Trials, but this classic New England seaside city offers so much more. It has an entirely pedestrian friendly historic waterfront and downtown, incredible colonial, early American, and Victorian architecture, and great restaurants and shops. This is perfect for anyone staying at a downtown Boston hotel. Let me show you why Salem is my favorite city to visit outside of Boston! (Available May-October only)
** The start time reflects when the ferry leaves. Please arrive 15 minutes early! ** Meet at the Boston Harbor Cruises dock at 1 Long Wharf (next to the New England Aquarium and the Aquarium blue line subway station).
- roughly 45 minute ferry ride to Salem, featuring stunning views of Boston skyline and Harbor Islands, 2 Civil War-era forts, A half-dozen historic lighthouses, including Boston Light, the oldest lighthouse in America.
- Salem Historic Waterfront District, featuring the House of Seven Gables, The Derby House, The Custom House, Derby Wharf and light, incredible urban architecture spanning over 300 years!
- Charter Street cemetery, dating from the 1630s
- Old and new (but still almost 200 years old) Salem City Halls
- Pedestrian only Essex Street downtown historic district with fantastic shops, architecture, and the world-class Peabody Essex Museum
- Optional locations include the Salem Common and Witch Museum
- Return trip to Boston by ferry
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Boston Harbor Cruises ferry terminal at 1 Long Wharf, Boston MA
End location: Boston Harbor Cruises ferry terminal at 1 Long Wharf, Boston MA
Duration: 5 hours
Length of tour may be affected by the ferry departure times, and how much time you wish to spend exploring Salem.
Ferry has two levels, with a snack bar and bathrooms on board. Lower level is enclosed and heated, upper level is uncovered for fantastic views and soaking in the sun! The rest of the tour is entirely walking only.
Half-day of my time as your personal guide. You get a round trip narrated tour of Boston Harbor, the Massachusetts coast, and Salem Harbor, and a guided walking tour of historic Salem.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 usd - For snacks, drinks, lunch in Salem
Any museum admission tickets