To the Heart of Black Russia
Did you know that "Belarus" means "White Russia"? To understand why, we'll go to the core of Black Russia, where a huge medieval state, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, was found. We'll see its first center, Navahrudak, with its magnificent castle ruins and the old town. We'll meet a caravan of other Belarusian castles which don't look as presentable as UNESCO sites, but still keep their honour and majesty. They could impress a traveler even more than a glossy reconstruction!
We'll see Kreva castle which was a witness of a bloody massacre within a ducal family. During WW I Kreva was just at the front line, the battles left there many pillboxes and cemeteries. We'll become ghost hunters for a while, visiting the castle of Hal'šany. We'll see Lida castle which remembers King Jagello's marriage banquet and crusaders' attacks. We'll recollect the Nabokovs family who possessed Liubča castle until WW II. On the way back we'll make a selfie with world-known Mir castle. Let's dive into the Belarusian authenticity!
- pick up
- way to the first castle (Kreva), approx. 1 hour. During the way I'll tell you to the story of the Belarusians and Old Ruthenia (Russia). You'll get to know what is Black, White and Red Russia. You'll get to know how the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, the biggest state of medieval Europe, was found on the territory of Belarus.
- visit of the Kreva castle and its environs (1 hour).
- way to the next castle and the visiting of it. Each passage from a castle to another one takes 30-50 min. Each visit of each castle and its environs takes approx. 1 hour. Note, many interesting sites in the towns are not included in the program in order to manage to visit all six castles. Be ready for such an intensive tour!
- on the way, somewhere in the middle of the route, we could stop for a lunch in a local cafe
- way back to Minsk from Mir castle (last one) takes 1 hour.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 13 hours
Please, note, there are plenty of sites to see and the way takes a lot of time (we spend approx. 1 hour at a castle). So, be ready to move fast! On the other hand, we could discuss and correct the program, spending more time in the castles and the towns you'd prefer, excluding some sites from the route.
the price includes transportation on a regular car with a SEPARATE DRIVER for 3 tourists and the guide. Sure, it is possible to make a customized tour for you, which would include minivan or minibus for more tourists. In such a case the price would be higher.
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 BYN - an average price of a good lunch
- Personal Expenses
I'm not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or arrange a car/a driver for you (the prices depend on this). Note! A separate driver is another one local person who can tell you something interesting about the country!
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Great guide and great experience. Highly recommend!