Enjoy a walk through history in the very charming and preserved Capital of Switzerland
The capital of our country, Bern has also an incredibly well preserved old town and was, therefore, the first Swiss site to be enlisted in the Unesco World Heritage List in 1983.
Founded in 1191 in the meanders of the river Aar, Bern's today's protected shopping center represents a living testimony of the 15th century with its unique arcades and atmosphere. Its 16th-century fountains are part of the major highlights of the city, as well as « Münster » (cathedral), its 16th century astronomic Clock Tower and its (living) bears.
The city was chosen as Capital of Switzerland in 1848 and has remained since then at the center of the Swiss politic, and the Swiss Parliament building still is the working place of our authorities.
- Upon arrival in Bern, from the railway station, we will join the Swiss Parliament building, and walk under the arcades discovering many fountains on the way to the Clock Tower that comes to life every hour.
- We will then follow the main historical street, passing by the house where Einstein lived, and visit the «Münster », the youngest cathedral of Switzerland and its beautiful portal and terrace on the Aar.
- Then we'll go and say hello to the bears of Berne, Björk, Finn and Ursina, before walking back to the city center and/or railway station, passing by the Town Hall and St-Peter and Paul Church. Possibility of a quick lunch if desired.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Lausanne railway station (or hotel to be determined upon request).
End location: Lausanne railway station - hotel or other if requested.
Duration: 6 hours
Duration calculated from/to Lausanne (1h15 from Lausanne by train or private car). Time for quick lunch included.
Swiss railway 2nd class is very reliable and pleasurable. May be crowdy on rush hours.
Swiss railway 1st class is high level.
Private car if requested (Limousine Mercedes S or Mini-Car Mercedes 16-seater) - extra cost : please ask me for a customized tour including price offer
In Bern, Walking tour
- 6 hours private guided tour to discover the Swiss Capital (journey included)
Estimated Local Cash Needed
40 CHF - Lunch if desired. Price per person. To be added costs of transport.
- Lunch - drinks.
- Return ticket Lausanne-Bern (1st class CHD 120.- p.p. + CHF 68.- upgrade for the guide/2nd class CHF 68.-/p.p.)
- Private transport possible with Limousine Mercedes S or Mini-Car Mercedes 16 seats upon request
I am not licensed (so not allowed) to guide you inside historical monuments or museum.
I do not have a professional license to drive clients in my own car - but I can arrange for a separate car or driver - or accompany you in your own vehicle.