The medieval and renaissance town of Bergamo
Full day tour of the charming town of Bergamo.
Bergamo is divided into two towns: the lower one dating back to the XIX Cent. and the upper one (or historical town) still showing its treasures dating back to the medieval time and renaissance time, like the chapel Colleoni, the church Santa Maria Maggiore, its high towers.
As soon as the upper town gets into sight, we'll be surprised by the huge wall surrounding the town, dating back to 1561, which has been appointed recently as World Heritage Site.
To reach the upper town we can get the funicular (dating back to 1889) and then start our walking tour through the narrow streets.
After lunch - and according to the weather - we'll climb up to the "Rocca", from which we'll have a wonderful view at the Lower Town of Bergamo.
Last but not least: Bergamo is also the birth town of Gaetano Donizetti (the famous composer) and of "Stracciatella", the ice cream flavour with chocolate pieces.
In the afternoon our driver we'll pick us up and we'll drive back to Milan.
- Departure by private van with professional driver to Bergamo (1-hour ride).
- Drive up to the old town by private van, or - according to your wish - we'll get the historical funicular.
- Walking tour through the historical Bergamo: Via Gombito, Piazza Vecchia, Piazza Duomo with Chapel Colleoni, the church Santa Maria Maggiore and the Duomo.
- After lunch: walking up to the Rocca to see the view of the lower town of Bergamo
On your request: we'll go to Colle Aperto, where la Marianna is located (the place where the "Stracciatella" flavour was invented).
- In the afternoon: return to Milan.
** Traffic on the highway and wheater may affect the duration of our tour.
** This tour can be provided also using public transportation (trains). Please inquire me for a customized tour.
**Chapel Colleoni and the Church Santa Maria Maggiore are closed on Mondays.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Meeting location: At your hotel or any other location of your choice in Milan.
End location: At your hotel or at any place of your choice in Milan.
Duration: 8 hours 30 min.
Traffic on the highway or bad wheater may affect the duration of this tour.
** It's possible to organize the tour also using public transport (the trains to and from Milan are leaving every half an hour).
Private van (FIAT DUCATO or similar)
- 8.5 hour private guided tour carried out by a professional registered local guide of Milano and Bergamo
- Private van (FIAT DUCATO or similar) and professional driver at your disposal for 8.5 hours (+ motorway expenses)
- Visit of the main sights in Bergamo
- Transfer from/to Milan
Estimated Local Cash Needed
6 EURO - Prices are given per person
EURO 2,60: funicolar return ticket
EURO 3,00: entrance fee to church Santa Maria Maggiore
- Food, drinks and ice-creams.
- Funicular tickets if used: EURO 1,30 each ride
- Entrance ticket to Church Santa Maria Maggiore: EURO 3,00.
I am not a driver. I can arrange for a separate car and driver.