Dutch country side, Zaanse Schans & Handcraft Arts
Zaanse Schans is an open air museum though residential area; a cultural heritage site of the 19th century!
It has a collection of well-preserved historic windmills and houses. Lots of famous painters have relocated here for its highly photogenic and pure character. Lots of Dutch traditional handcrafts are still in display here today; chocolate, cheese, clogs full of history and culture of unique nature!
Stroll past the the first convenient store and take a look at the warehouse where clogs are made. You should be sure not to miss the cheese factory, pewter foundry and the various windmills. The Zaanse Schans is a unique part of the Netherlands, full of wooden houses, mills, barns and workshops.
My recommendation? Take this tour later on the day, and enjoy it away from morning crowds; By the end of the tour, we can enjoy a meal and the stunning sunset by a riverside restaurant!
- Pick up from Hotel or Cruise Terminal
- Drive approx. 30 min to Zaanse Schans
- Stroll around the historical village settings
- Admire the Dutch country side and its lifestyle
- Enjoy views of Traditional Dutch Windmills from the bridge
- Learn about the history and workshops of the site
- Enjoy an introduction of Clogs making
- Windmill visit - climb up a functional mill, wood/chock/oil
- Visit the first conventional Dutch store - today's biggest market
- Visit the stunning chocolate store and have a taste
- Taste of Dutch Cheese at cheese factory
- Optional but a must; Visit the Zaanse Museum & the chocolate Factory
- Drive back to Amsterdam
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Hotel or Cruise Terminal
Airport pick up on additional costs; please inquire in advance
End location: Hotel or Cruise Terminal
Airport drop off on additional costs; please inquire in advance
Duration: 4 hours
Weather conditions or/and traffic may prolong tour duration
Private and modern car up to 4 people.
Please enquire for more capacity, i can accommodate up to 8 people with mini van (possible extra costs for Van Rental)
- Pick up & return (hotel, cruise terminal)
- Private & experienced tour guide/driver
- Customised tour to fit your needs
- Private modern car transportation
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 euros - - drinks & food
- personal pursues
-food & drinks
- Museums: I don't guide inside. There is audio guides & tour guides for you.
- Keukenhof: I'll explain the gardens map and all around growing tulips. Enjoy the gardens at your own pace, without me (garden guides available).
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Our tour of the windmills with Dina was fantastic! She was prompt in picking us up from our hotel, she let us choose where we wanted to go all day. She recommended visiting the windmills first and that was the perfect choice. Dina was very knowledgeable about the windmills and the area in general. We went inside one of the mills to see it working and our guide was never in a hurry to rush us along. After the mills we went to a small local village and enjoyed lunch and a market. A fantastic day!