Traditional Dutch food
Food is the best way to understand a culture, what we eat, the way we eat and how we prepare our food defines who we are. A visit to Amsterdam cannot be complete without tasting the local delicacies.
Don't miss: Cheese ultimate speciality, Bitterballen crispy meatballs, Haring pickled fresh fish, Ossenworst Amsterdam originated ox meat sausage, Fries, Apple pies, Syrop waffles and Pancakes.
A good starting point to experience the Dutch culinary habits is to wander around in one of the most quaint neighborhoods of Amsterdam. A former poor area that has become an exceptionally desirable one, a bohemian mixture of locals and foreigners.
Narrow alleyways, secret inner courtyards, dark wood bars with flickering candles, top-rated restaurants, flower line canals, impressive 17th-century residences, breweries, former warehouses of spices and cocoa, top flea and food street markets, galleries, exclusive fashion and vintage shopping.
A travel experience with authentic food, genuine hospitality and scenic beauty.
- Art'otel our meeting point
- Wander around the brewer's canal, voted Amsterdam's most beautiful
- Start with homemade apple pie dutch style and coffee in the most iconic canalside cafe
- Visit one of the hidden inner courtyards in Jordaan
- Try the famous street food, pickled haring and battered cod fish
- Stroll around the local markets (only Mondays and Saturdays)
- Try the local sausages; from lean smoked beef and ground pork meat
- See the house of the famous diarist Anne Frank and the Westerkerk (church where Rembrandt is buried)
- Enjoy delicious cheese tasting
- End of the tour in a small place where you can taste the best Bitterballen, a mix of cheese/fish/meat balls
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Suggested by Guide: Westerkerk (Church) Prinsengracht 279 At the entrance of the church
Duration: 4 hours
** If you want to have a pick up and drop off at your hotel or any other location, please inquire me for a customized tour that will include the transportation cost.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 Euro - Personal expenses, beverages/souvenirs
- I do not tour guiding in the museums
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Laura Maria is a wonderful tour guide for exploring the food scene in Amsterdam! We knew that we wanted to hear about the local food traditions but didn't expect to try so many different foods, going into local shops, meeting locals. We started out learning about the fish txt is a mainstay of the country. Then seeing it fresh, tri=ying the various preparations... well from there it just got better! If you want to taste Amsterdam and see Amsterdam from a local perspective then you have to go with Laura!