A Day in the Life of a Viking (in season private tour)
Aalborg, strategically placed at the Limfjord's narrowest point, gave the Vikings an easy crossing point and ready access to the North and Baltic Seas. This, together with plentiful foods from the rich agricultural land, led to the city becoming a very important Viking market and trading port, attracting traders from across the known world at that time.
Starting with a drive south to the reconstruction of an actual Viking farm community discovered near Jelling. Here you will gain a fascinating insight into the life and times of the Vikings. A 1 km. drive now takes you to the Fyrkat Ring Fortress and replica longhouse. The fort, strategically built into the landscape, provided security for its civilian and military inhabitants.
Returning north we come to Lindholm Høje, the largest Viking burial ground yet discovered. As we walk amongst the graves we hear how shifting sands protected it for over 800 years. Finally, to complete our 'Day in the Life of a Viking', is a must visit to its extraordinary museum.
Go back in time and visit our Viking forebears. Aalborg was a very important Viking trading centre and much of that part of history is still available for us to see and experience, for example:
- Viking Farmstead: replica of a Viking settlement offering a fascinating insight into the daily life of its inhabitants. Depending on the day, try on Viking clothing, bread making, wool weaving, forging, archery etc.
- Fyrkat Fortress: only five Viking ring fortresses have so far been discovered. Here you can wander round to see how they were designed and go inside a reconstructed longhouse.
- Hobro Museum: home for the artefacts found at Fyrkat.
- Lindholm Høje Viking Burial Ground. With more than 700 inhumation and cremation graves, we learn about Viking burial practises. Sadly, our tour comes to an end with a visit to its extraordinary museum. A visual extravaganza of how Vikings lived, played, worked and died.
Yes, Viking history comes to life, myths are dispelled and answers to questions answered.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We meet at a central location before moving onwards to the car hire depot. (location map to be included in the confirmation documentation).
End location: At the hire car depot or at a suitable spot of your choice.
Duration: 5 hours
Modern, comfortable, private hire car or minibuses driven by the guide, will be used between the sites to be visited. Walking from car parks to the sites is on grassed, gravel, cobblestoned or uneven surfaces. Museum exhibits are on two floors accessible via stairs (elevator available at Lindholm Høje Museum).
My services as your private planner, organiser and driver/guide for the tour as described.
- car hire, all taxes, unlimited mileage, all insurance (incl. excess liability). fuel, etc.
- entrance to Fyrkat Centre and Lindholm Høje Museum
Note... the tour described (4 adults + guide) will use a family size, private hire car (guide driver) for all transportation. For other size groups, please ask for a quote.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 Danish Kroner - for personal expenses (snack/beverage, souvenirs, shopping, etc.)
Note… currencies other than Danish Kroner are not normally accepted. Visa and MasterCard credit cards however, are widely accepted in shops, restaurants, taxis, etc.
A stop for refreshments, at your own cost, will be made at an appropriate time.
Group of 2-3 persons: please enquire for a tour price to include - a private hire compact car, including all expenses, a guide driver and tour entrance fees as above.
Group of 5-8 persons: please enquire for a tour price to include - a private hire minibus, including all expenses, a guide driver and tour entrance fees as above.
I can also cater for parties of 18 to 50, using luxury coaches with driver and myself as guide - please enquire for details.
Due to legal restrictions in Denmark I cannot hire a vehicle for you. However, I am able to make a reservation on your behalf for you to complete prior to the start of the tour and for me to pay all the hire charges and act as your driver/guide.