In the footsteps of the Vikings
In 692 the Vikings first settled in these parts; how amazed they would be to see the city they began and how some of the richest merchants built their houses along the river.
You will see some of the original houses from the late 1500's, including the most spectacular of them all, Jens Bangs House. Considered a skyscraper at that time and still a significant mark on the city skyline today.
Budolfi Cathedral is said to be the smallest and most beautiful among the 10 cathedrals in Denmark. It is named after English St. Botholphus, the Patron Saint of Seafarers.
On to the Monastery of the Holy Ghost, considered the oldest social institution in the country. It is here we hear stories of the monks and the nuns, their daily life and what struggles and obstacles they faced.
Moving on, we take a stroll in the old cobblestoned streets of Hjelmerstald, now an exclusive residential area and a surprising walk! We see the remains of the other two monasteries in Aalborg and the first on-location museum in the world.
Following the old Viking highway, the Eastern River, past early 17 century merchant houses we arrive at the old Market Square, here we see:
- Jens Bangs House, home of a very wealthy but irascible merchant
- Budolfi Cathedral, dating from the 11 century, which dominates the square
- the Monastery of the Holy Ghost, built in 1431, home to many surprises.
Crossing over to the eastern side of the city, we come to:
- the Franciscan Monastery Museum, 3 m. (10f ft) below ground, accessed via an elevator
- Hjelmerstald, formerly the poor peoples quarter, now an exclusive residential area.
- the Church of Our Lady, 11 century home to the Nuns of St Benedict.
Onto themodern harbour front where we look at some amazing structures:
- the House of Music, a spectacular mix of straight and curved line
- Larsen Waterfront, home for 256 university students
- Utzon Center, the last design of Aalborg's famous son, Jørn Utzon of Sydney Opera House fame.
Finally we're back in the centre after a journey through 1300 years
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: In front of the fountains at the old customs square by the waterfront or at any location convenient for you such as hotel, restaurant etc.
End location: In front of the fountains at the old customs house by the waterfront or at any location convenient for you such as hotel, restaurant etc.
Duration: 3 hours
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 Danish Kroner - If you need anything to drink or eat, you can usually pay with your credit card, Visa or MasterCard. Otherwise consider 200 DKR for a small drink and snack.