Discover the life in the monastery that is considered the oldest social institution in Denmark
The Monastery is the oldest social institution in Denmark, founded in 1431 by Maren Hemmings, a very wealthy and philanthropic Aalborg lady. 20 years later it was awarded 'The Order of the Holy Ghost' a Southern French Hospital Order.
Following the Reformation, it remained a hospice with an orphanage and mental institution. It has one of the best historical interiors, with frescoes dating from the early 1500s and of course, lots of ghost stories as well.
Following the Reformation the monks' quarters became a grammar school where it remained for 300 years. During the Second World War, Denmark's first resistance group, the Churchill Club, was established here. Now the Monastery has 28 exclusive apartments for senior citizens.
It is one of the most exiting Places in Aalborg having survived wars, the ravages of the weather and many attempts in the changing centre of the city.
Outside in the gardens of the monastery is the oldest fountain in Aalborg, known as the 'Dragon Fountain'.
Inside you will visit the:
- refectory, completely original except for the lighting and heating
- the prior's room, home to the oldest library in Aalborg
- The chapter room, where you can see the wonderful ceiling frescoes painted by Christopher
- in the Treasury are examples of how the nuns and monks dressed as well as artefacts from WW2
- the vestry, where the priest dressed for services
- the cellar, the monastery's kitchen and home to its many ghosts
- the small museum, a record of the Monastery
- the chapel, a newer addition that replaced the demolished church (subject to services, funerals, etc).
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Monastery of the Holy Ghost.
Just opposite the local brewery of "Soegaard"
I can pick you op at your hotel and we will walk to the monastery.
End location: Outside the Monastery of the Holy Ghost. Or I will walk you back to your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
This is a walking tour
Entrance fee to the monestry of the Holy ghost and into the museum. And if there is no service in the church, we will also visit that
Estimated Local Cash Needed
100 Danish Kroner - If you want to buy any small drinks or snacks. You can use a credit card in most places such as Visa and Mastercard. Some small shops only take Danish money or if you want to buy a small pamphlet about the monastery.
Snacks and Drinks