Explore the trail of the Vikings and experience the old merchant houses with a private guide
From the Royal Cruise Berth where your ship is docked, right in the city centre, old houses, churches, monasteries and a castle are lined up for you visit.
As we walk through the city, you will pass one of the real treasures of Aalborg: Jens Bang's House, the largest private Renaissance house in Denmark, owned by the wealthiest merchant ever to have lived in Aalborg.
From here we visit Budolfi Cathedral, the smallest and only white painted cathedral, but naturally the most beautiful of all 10 of Denmark's cathedrals. Moving on we enter the Monastery of the Holy Ghost, the oldest social institution in Denmark. Before making our way to Aalborg Castle with its dungeons and underground passages.
Taking the public bus, we take a short drive to Lindholm Høje, the burial site of the Vikings. One of the most beautiful ancient monuments in Denmark, dating from late Iron Age and the Viking Era. Here you can stroll through several hundred stone graves. From here we return to the pier.
Your tour starts at the Royal cruise berth where we see the transformation of the harbour front from its former industrial past to today's leisure area. From here we:
- take the old Viking highway and the same view the Vikings, who settled here more than thousands years ago, had.
- merchant houses that lined the street during the 1600s. The house of richest man in town is still a 'skyscraper' on Aalborg's skyline.
- visit the Monastery of the Holy Ghost. Denmark's oldest social institution.
- Budolfi Cathedral. Named after the 7-century English Saint Botholphus.
- on-location museum of the Franciscan monks. Its discovery a success for both archaeologists and shop owners.
- cobblestoned horse stables. From poverty and red light district to fashionable real estate
- Church and Monastery of Our Lady, Convent of the nuns of the Order of St Benedict. Today, it is one of Aalborg's most significant buildings.
- Lindholm Høje Museum and the old Viking burial site with over 700 graves.
Return to pier
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Aalborg Royal Cruise Berth
End location: Aalborg Royal Cruise Berth
Duration: 4 hours
Local city bus
The walk through Aalborg and admission to the churches and outside the monasteries.
I will pay for all admission fees and also the local city bus.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 Danish Kroner - If you need anything to drink or eat, you can usually pay with your credit card, Visa or MasterCard. Otherwise consider 200 DKR for a small drink and snack. And also if you want to buy a souvenier at Lindholm Høje Museum
Snacks and drinks.
Souvenirs at the museum of the old vikings