If you want to meet a true Dane I'm your 'man'.
In the year 1971 I came into this wonderful world and ever since then, I have been so proud of my country; in fact, so proud as to want to share my happiness and enthusiasm with visitors to my beautiful country.
As the owner of my own petrol station, I am extremely aware of providing my customers with the very best experience. I pride myself on being able to spot the mood and needs of my clients and will do everything I can to help and serve them. It is exactly the same service I wish to provide to guests on my tours; to make sure the tour is unique.
With 3 years' experience as a guide for Visit Aalborg and Aalborg Tour Guide Association, Northern Denmark is my 'patch', from Aarhus in the south to Skagen at the top of Denmark, where the two seas 'crash' together.
I enjoy showing unusual parts of our region and when I have locals with me, I get great satisfaction when they say, "I didn't know of this spot in my city/country". I have the most fun when mixing my knowledge of the history of my region and country with unusual stories. It will be my pleasure to be your host and guide, for example:
• to the second largest city in Denmark, Aarhus with its spectacular cathedral and living museum, 'The Old Town', where 16th to 19th century buildings from all over Denmark have been reconstructed, with every detail maintained and preserved in its original state.
• to the old Viking city of Hobro at the end of Mariager Fjord, where the old steamboat 'Svanen' takes a slow sail in what is considered to be the most beautiful fjord in Denmark, to the old cobblestoned city of Mariager, with hollyhocks and roses surrounding timber framed houses. A vintage train to take us through the beautiful landscape back to an original 1950s railway station and finally, a bus ride back to Hobro.
• the largest 4th of July celebration, outside the USA, which takes place in the hills of Rebild ever since 1912. Here we can walk whilst I recall memories of my childhood, where my mother and I would sit and enjoy a picnic as we watched the celebration and, if we were lucky, a glimpse of the Royal Family. The hills have also kept a dark secret; a post WW2 cold war bunker, which even the locals didn't know about.
• in Aalborg, the capital of Northern Jutland, where we see why the Vikings decided to make it a trading post, which led to the beginnings of the city. A city that has so much to offer: a cathedral, old merchant houses and a lot of Danish 'hygge'. An expression you cannot explain, you can only experience. I promise you, with me, you will begin to know what 'hygge' feels like.
• The proud island of 'Vendsyssel', north of Aalborg, is a land of opposites with its varied landscape. From the huge drifting sand dunes in the west, were Rubjerg Knude lighthouse is slowly re-appearing, to Denmark's 'Sahara' desert at Raabjerg Mile, to the very top, where the two seas crash together at Grenen, a must see when you are here, all a contrast to the picturesque villages and vast farmland of this unique part of my country.
So come and look for yourself. I promise you that by the end of the tour, you will know all about true Danes, their towns and land and rest assured 'hygge' will have 'got-under-your-skin' leaving you longing for more.
A Recent Review of this guide
Anita was a terrific guide-pleasant, informative and accommodating. She even treated my group of 6 ladies to Toms Polet Lakrids, salted and unsalted. Visiting Skagen was refreshing and unlike the previous Scandinavian ports we had visited. We road the "Sandworm" to Grenen where we took our shoes off and put one foot in the North Sea and one foot in the Baltic Sea! The quaint town of Skagen was lovely. I wish we had more time to wander, but buying Skagen watches took up most of our time! Thank you, Anita.
Cruise guide of the year 2017 Aalborg
Member of the GuideAssociation in Aalborg 2015
Member of VisitAalborg Cruise Guide 2014
Degree from Aalborg University in Economics and Marketing 1994
Due to legal restrictions in Denmark I cannot hire a vehicle for you. However, I am able to make a reservation on your behalf for you to complete prior to the start of the tour and for me to pay all the hire charges and act as your driver/guide.